Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Man Cub does Easter

What a great kid. Even in his “terrible twos” (which in his case means a contrary answer for every proposition expressed, from “Let’s take a bath” to “Hey, how about changing that droopy diaper”), he’s a blast.

Woke up early and watched almost an hour of “The Johnny Cash Show” together before getting Mommy up to enjoy the holiday largesse she lovingly crafted for her two boys. Hunted for eggs, played with the dog, did some yard work, homemade pizza for lunch, spent an hour in church if my mom is reading this, family napped while I made newspapers, watched Leonard Cohen inducted into the R&RHOF on the TiVo (sorry, Professor, I thought Lou Reed totally dropped the ball), then played some more (one game which involved the boy repeatedly hiding my Steve Martin autobiography in the other room then returning it) topped by his need for attention knee-capping a family viewing of this week’s “John Adams”…

He makes parenting fun. However, you may want to ask me again after I solo-parent him for a few days this week while visiting my mom’s tin can in the desert. But for now, it’s all gravy, man. I am a lucky guy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather Clisby said...

What a happy kid! You and the good Dr. made that happen.

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...church? which one?

8:18 PM

 
Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

1.) How did Lou "drop the ball"?

2.) Why are you apologizing to the Nutty Professor about this?

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

Lou dropped the ball by mumbling page after page of Leonard’s verse. Did you see Tom Hanks speak about the DC5? Have you ever seen Bono or Bruce induct an idol? They don’t just read the inductees the greatest hits, they don’t just wax rhapsodic over their childhood heroes, in the best-case scenario they write and deliver something that stands on its own as poetry and performance. I was really hoping Bono would do the honors, and after watching what survived of Reed’s speech on the VH1 re-telecast, like I said, I was deeply disappointed.

And I was apologizing to you for talking smack about one of your heroes (Mr. Reed). You wrote somewhere how cool it was for you watching one of your musical heroes praise another, and I just thought Lou could’ve done better and Leonard deserved better.

Tom Hanks, on the other hand, knocked his DC5 induction out of the park. Almost made me care about the band. Put the band’s era in a social/political context and weaved names of their hits throughout his remarks. As a nation, we need to start throwing Academy Awards at this guy again just to hear him give lump-in-the-throat acceptance speeches.

Loved the Iggy Pop performance, and the sweaty embrace Madonna couldn’t get out of afterwards. Also impressed Madonna lost her English accent for the evening. Class act, that one. But she’s no Leonard Cohen or Lou Reed.

10:33 PM

 
Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

I can see what you mean. I was impressed w/Hanks too.

Even Billy Joel, whose music I loathe, was genuinely funny in his induction of John Mellancamp, whose music never did anything for me.

Lou's was more of a literary tribute. I wouldn't say he mumbled, but, now that you bring it up, it was a bit lazy.

It could have been worse, though. Imagine if Dylan delivered the tribute.

4:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home