Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day at last!

My GOP buddy The Last Boy Scout asked me a question about the election this morning, and I like my answer enough to let it be my post for the day. Thanks dude...

TLBS writes:
Tell me now, before the election: If the Republicans somehow manage to keep a majority in the House, will you join the conspiracy theorists who will say that Diebold fixed the election, and that that's why Bush has been so confident in the past few weeks?

I replied:
This question (and it’s a good, fair one) demands a longer answer than I have time for right now. Let me axe you this, my brother: How close to Conspiracy Theory would YOU be if the nation’s election-counting machines were produced by, say, George Soros? And squeaker elections just kept happening to go the way of the election-counting machine maker’s politics?

That having been said...

I think Bush is acting confident because as the savvy pol he is (not to be mistaken for a capable administrator), he realizes it would be suicide to not put on The Brave Face. I think any conspiracy complicated enough to throw a national election in America has to be happening above Bush’s pay grade. “In other words,” as Bush is so fond of saying as he is about to mischaracterize an issue for his dwindling, fawning masses, I don’t think he’s smart enough to be looped-in to any large conspiracy, should one exist.

As far as whether a conspiracy exists – call me old fashioned, but I’ll follow the facts, which tend to come to light after incidents, not precede them. Put me in the “Undecided” category for now.

Finally, if you guys keep both houses of Congress, all I can say is the people who voted that way will continue to get the lame-ass, criminally incompetent government they deserve, while progressive types like me will just continue to get screwed.

My prediction? The day will come when you look back on your support on GW Bush and wish you could ask for a Mulligan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home