Thursday, October 26, 2006

Fences of Freedom

Happened to catch the bill signing this morning on cable. There was our redoubtable Dumbleyou surrounded by a grinning gaggle of GOPers who, I’m guessing, aren’t up for reelection this time out or they wouldn’t be caught dead on camera with the persona-non-grata-in-chief.

They called it, I swear, “The Secure Fence Act.” Do I have that right? I know I got the “Secure Fence” part right. I laughed out loud. See, it’s a fence and it’ll keep us secure. Security, get it? “9/11...?”

Ring a bell yet, WalMart shoppers?

Forgetting the fact that fences are notoriously easy to circumvent (unless they happen to be under 24/7 surveillance by armed guards – and we’re talking 700 miles of armed guards here. Gee, where do you think we’d turn to fill that thankless, underpaid labor shortage?), and that any eventual implementation of this bill will undoubtedly produce pork-laden, no-bid giveaways to companies closely allied with the administration; forget about the fact that when you build a fence to keep someone else out, you end up keeping yourself in, too… No wait, those are the salient points.

But being the glass-half-full kind of guy I just naturally am, the way I see it, the day will come that this embarrassing fiasco will give some future Mexican president the opportunity for a Regean-esque, “President So-and-So, tear down this fence!” Moment. History will probably record that that future Mexican president was a great statesman.

In the meantime, the record will reflect that while Baghdad burned, George Bush built fences in the back yard. I hope they name it after him. The fence, not the war; I think the war is already a lock.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

The Nero analogy was a bit of a stretch, but I giggled at Gee, where do you think we’d turn to fill that thankless, underpaid labor shortage? :)

Hubby told me that in our former haunt (Cincy) both GOP reps are within a half point of losing to Dem challengers. SHIT! Would not have beleived it possible in the land of Skyline Chili. Part of the reason we left was because the place was so stultifyingly conservative in that "we're poor but Catholic and cranky [or] we're rich and Catholic and cranky so we'll all vote Republican" sorta was. I liked the city, really - would be fun if politics shifted to the point where we could consider going back. That and Ohio's next governor is a LOCK. Save the money - skip the election - give it to Strickland.

6:49 AM

 
Blogger Heather Clisby said...

So, when do we start building the Canadian fence? Gosh, I feel more secure already1

Then again, the fence will probably hold as well as a New Orleans levee.

12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home