Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Dave Cockrum, 1943-2006

One of my favorite comic-book artists died yesterday. Although his name may be unfamiliar to most of you, if you’ve enjoyed any of the X-Men movies, you owe Mr. Cockrum – co-creator of at least half of the movie franchise’s characters – a direct debt of gratitude.

I’ve bought thousands (millions?) of comic books in my lifetime; his are some of the rare few I remember where and when I was when I picked them up. His superheroes had heft, and his superheroines had curves, baby! Storm (played by Halle Berry in the movies) never looked sexier than when Cockrum drew her.

When I dreamed of drawing comic books as a kid, I dreamed of drawing them like Dave Cockrum did. He’d been off the scene and ill for a while now, but before diabetes took him, he achieved something I still dream of: he created characters and artwork that will remain relevant and continue to inspire long after he has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Peaceful journey, Mr. Cockrum. Thanks for the dreams of heroes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I preferred Storm as drawm by Wilce Portacio (early 90s, Uncanny), but Cockrum did great things for the X-Men line. Can you imagine the series without Storm, Wolvie, etc? Amazing stuff. And he died wearing Superman PJs and under a Superman blanket ;)

8:24 AM

 
Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

Yeah, gee whiz, I wonder where his loyalty to Marvel (swag) went? Could it be all those X-Men movie millions he never saw a penny of? Where’s Neal Adams when you need him?

8:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home