Tuesday, November 28, 2006

One day at a time

That’s how recovering drunks/addicts are advised to deal with their sobriety. If you look at the whole rest of your life being as hard as today is, you’re likely to pack it in and run, not walk, to the corner liquor store.

I never had that problem with shaking the monkeys off my back, luckily. When the opportunity to stop drinking presented itself, I just jumped on for the ride. No weirdness, no Meetings or sponsors or trauma or drama. I was ready. Same with meth some 15+ years ago. I was ready.

But now I’m applying the 12-Step credo where it can actually do me some good – parenting.

I am, ultimately, an extremely selfish guy. I need stuff my way; I need my life to make sense, and have some serious structure. In the absence of structure, I am a fucking menace. Ask anyone who knew me as a kid.

Now I’m a parent, and every day brings new compromises and introduces new chaos into my carefully constructed order. When I sit down and look at the foreseeable future, I just want to get in the car and drive far, far away and keep driving till I fall off the end of the world, or Dumbleyou achieves “victory” in Iraq, whichever comes first.

And not wear a seat belt.

So I try not to take the long view, because seriously, the long view scares the shit out of me. We’re in a small town, hundreds of miles away from our family and friends infrastructure. Babysitters are practically impossible to nail down because they’re all college students and their schedules change A) every two months and B) on any random whim.

Because we live hand-to-mouth, our domestic circumstances are meager. The Man Cub shares a bedroom with us, which means that every day starts hours before dawn with piercing shrieks and drags on like molasses till I escape into slumber as soon after sundown as I possibly can.

I’ve been battling clinical depression since the day he was born, and with The Missus’ impending 8-5, M-F work schedule looming (starting next month)… the prognosis is not good.

When I was single, I had all the Me Time in the world. Too much, if all the booze, pills and snort was any indication. After we got married, we worked out a deal where I got the better part of one day a week of Me Time. The Missus bent over backwards to accommodate my needs, and it was good. It was tough sledding at first, but we made it work.

I’m sure you can see where this is heading.

Yes, my Me Time in now virtually at zero, and soon to be plunging into negative numbers.

If I cast my thoughts several years down the road, I can see a happy outcome. We’re in a house, the boy is in school, the wife is climbing the ladder of success and I have a little bit of Me Time back and I’m no longer at the jumping off point to insanity almost every moment of almost every day. I just don’t see the bridge between here and there. I honestly don’t see me making it till then.

I can barely see me making it to bedtime tonight.

And that is why I never write about my personal life, and concentrate almost exclusively on politics and pop-culture ephemera.

Questions?

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather Clisby said...

I'm glad to see you dumpy your icky insides out into the blogosphere. As you once encouraged me to do the same - "Makes for interesting reading" you said.

Believe it or not, I do not think you are alone in this. I hear it all the time from friends. Who knew parenting and life in general would be such a struggle? It sure looked easy when we were kids.

10:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll make it through this, Honey. Things will start looking up soon--if not before the holidays, then just after. I promise.

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

Thanks, honey...

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Until this summer, I had no idea what I was doing with my life. I had no career goals, so I overcompensated with the idea of homeschooling. It was a stop-gap means of not having to deal with the lag time, my general pointlessness. Only when I rediscovered my writing this summer did I figure out that homeschooling is the last thing in the world I want. I just wanted to find something that would keep me out of returning to a shitty, deadend corporate life. Now, I have that. I carve out time whenever and wherever I can, at the expense of cooking and cleaning some days. I don't read to the kids as often, but they are safe and healthy. They'll be off to school, at least part-time, as of next fall. I want to get on with my life, but that'll happen eventually. In the meantime, take comfort in the idea that everyone with kids goes through this horrible down-shift from life to no-life. You'll come out of it. The process, however, does suck balls.

5:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is why they call us adults.
We just do it, 'cause our parents (most
of them) did it for us...and look at
your kid. He is SO worth a couple
of crazy years. Trust me - the years fly by and
then you miss the little guys. Deep breath, think
what you have and what you DID NOT have 10 years ago. THEY make you happier. Lean on them and enjoy the ride. It is FUN!!! Believe that and you will enjoy it. (I hope - 'cause you sure deserve happiness) - kath

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

You are working at home at least, right? It could be worse. You could have to go to some dorky office environment and be forced to put on a public face and, worse, dress in "business casual," which for guys means khaki Dockers and a polo shirt. Once you put on that uniform, you'd lose all cred with the Man Cub. Even at his age, he'd rightly regard you with a degree of disdain.

"Shit, dad's a Dockers dude," he'd say to himself. "I guess that means I'll be watching Christmas movies starring Tim Allen until I'm 18. Iyyych!" [Retches on the floor].

Just don't be too "cool" of a Dad. Otherwise, your son might become a world weary hipster before his time.

11:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an unflinchingly honest exorcism of your private pain. That ability is one reason why you are such a strong person and such an exceptionally good writer. Having known you all your life (except the early institutional months...) I know exactly why you have to have alone time, and it's not selfishness so much as self (and other) preservation.

Even though I've only been a stepmom, and therefore experienced much less severely compromised personal space, I'll join my voice to the chorus of posts saying the lost personal time is ultimately well "worth it". And that one does indeed come to sorely miss the little kid years. But that doesn't mean it's not essential to find every way you can to carve out some sanity hours as often as possible while you're in them!

Oh yeah, and when you do take the long view, don't foget to factor in this: it's only a few years before Luke will be old enough to fly down and stay with his old auntie for as long as you guys will let him...it's certainly part of my long view! :-)

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing I check your blog once in a while to see how things are going. Obviously what you need is a good walk outdoors with the dog and some friends.
Let me know if I can help with the upcoming move.

2:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you're honest about it and that's a good thing. I'm selfish too...very selfish. I don't think it's a bad thing at all.

Too many people glamorize parenthood. In reality it's a day-to-day drain on your sanity, your money, your patience and your marriage.

I've chosen to remain child-free and couldn't be happier. Plenty of me-time whenever I want it. Plenty of happy mornings where the only thing that wakes me is my cell alarm. Freedom to come and go when and where I please.

And all the people that say it'll get better? They just say that to be nice and get you thru the day.

How do I know this? All of my brothers and sisters have kids...lots of them...and having kids changes your life forever. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.

8:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home