Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Dr. Mrs. B

Seven years in and I haven’t developed so much as an itch.

I’ve been hacking at the guitar in secret (well, not from The Missus), attempting to pick it up at the tender age of 46 last year. Frankly, it’s not going as well as I had hoped it would. But this one Tom Waits song – a song I used to woo her with and included on our official wedding disc giveaway – just fell into my lap. Its chords cried, “Play me!” Its vocal line shrugged, “Even you shouldn’t be able to screw me up too badly…”

And it’s hardly a flawless performance, partly through simple ineptitude on my part and partly because I decided on the fly to change the point of view to first-person for a verse and spiders were hurt in the production of this video, but she liked it and that’s what matters.

Thanks for hanging in there honey. I’d be nothing without you, nor, literally, would The Boy.



(I also really like this girl's version of this song, too.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous cbrooks said...

awww....love rules!

8:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how I feel about old Tom... I like
your version much better! Good work.
Is that killer in the background? He looks so tame, what is the problem? (or is that the mailman's leg he is chewing on?)
Happy Anniversary
Love,
kfrommaine

11:43 AM

 
Blogger Heather Clisby said...

You totally nailed this song - I even got misty-eyed! Congrats to you and the Dr. Mrs.

1:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was sweet and nice....don't quit your day job
7 years, my 1st anniv is this saturday and the over/under at Harrah's is laying six points to the under...

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

Awesome! As I've said before, your voice has a wonderful tone in the baritone range.

As a former guitar teacher, I'd say that you're now at the point that you can make chord changes quickly enough to where you should now focus on rhythm. I suggest using a metronome to keep you honest. I'd be willing to bet there's an iPhone app that works as a metronome.

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home