Friday, October 03, 2008

“There you go again, looking backwards…”

I think that was my favorite moment from what turned out to be an anti-climactic VP debate. The above quote is Sarah Palin, reprising a line that worked so well for Ronald Reagan in a debate some 20 years ago and using it to accuse Biden of looking backwards. Again, more unintended, existential comedy from the irony-impaired governor of Alaska.

Sadly, last night’s event was not the GOP train wreck that Palin’s week of interviews with Katie Couric led us to expect it would be. I’m truly puzzled at how the inarticulate, ill-informed boob from the serialized CBS interview showed up and comported herself as an effective, efficient politico when the chips were down. My hat is off to Gov. Palin and her handlers. I mean, really, swinging and missing at Couric softballs like “What newspapers do you read?” led me to expect 90 minutes full of “You’re no JFK” moments, and instead she deflected, parried, obfuscated and aw-shucksed herself to a draw with a much more seasoned political pro.

Seriously, the debate I imagined beforehand was much more entertaining than the one that actually occurred.

ADDENDUM: Here’s something hilarious my sis just sent. It made me laugh out loud; kudos to the author.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

Biden won.

Palin managed to not make an ass out of herself, so in that sense she didn't lose.

She stuck to the script. She's an actress. Tina Fey could have performed as well as she.

1:26 PM

 
Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

Tina Fey probably will this weekend...

1:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me where I can buy some Maverick jeans? didn't they sell 'em at Sears when we were kids? I REALLY want to be a Maverick. I REALLY want a pair of Mavericks. (Maybe I'm just a wrangler?)
Kath

3:27 PM

 
Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

Oh god, yes, the whole "team of mavericks" thing slew me. "Anarchists... unite!!"

I guess that falls under the "irony-impaired" umbrella.

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home