Friday, May 26, 2006

Dumbleyou has new handlers...?

Wow, I’m sorry I missed the Mea Culpa Press Conference with Tony Blair last night. But even the clips were jam-packed with shock and awe: W sheepishly admitting that his War President cowboy talk was maybe not the smartest thing he had ever done, and that Abu Ghraib was bad. Wow. There may have been more, but this was the Today Show, so I’m lucky I got that much.

All I could think was, Bush has new handlers. He’s dancing to a different tune. He looked pissed at having to do it and did a shitty job of selling it – bland and disaffected, I thought, like company was over and he was forced to eat his Brussels Sprouts – but the sound bytes are still out there. The actual words themselves have leaped from the President’s mouth for the historians to scribble and bibble away about in perpetuity.

Someone Important has decided the President has to stop looking ridiculous to reasonable people. They must be in serious trouble if they’re turning so far from their base as to be courting reasonable people.

Curious to see if this is the start of a new trend, or a one-off distraction. The Sci-Fi Geek in me imagines a scenario where Bush has to retract and apologize for all his lies, deceptions and misdirections in the reverse order he made them. Next up should be “Sorry about ‘Mission Accomplished.’” Then “Okay, we’re not really gonna be looking very hard for Osama bin Laden, Uncle Dick isn’t mad at him like he is Saddam.”

And on, and on. Oh, wouldn’t that be so much fun! And in my perfect scenario, once Bush was done confessing, Bill Clinton would start. He’d be in Desperation Township, Africa, talking about genocide or starvation or something and just blurt out, out of the blue, “Yeah, I banged the crap out of that fat broad. Feel terrible about getting caught, though. Should have let the NSA handle it when I had the chance.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home