Saturday, April 29, 2006

Neil Young: Still Rockin’ In The Free World!

He makes me proud to be an old Goddamned hippie myself.

His scathing new anti-war album, "Living With War," is streaming free HERE and just to make sure the kids understand what he’s doing, he’s got a BLOG up, as well as a MySpace account which I won’t link to since I myself am too damned old to understand it.

The album ends with a haunting, elegiac rendition of “America The Beautiful” with 100-voice choir that gave me the goosebumps (note to W: I said “goosebumps,” not “goosesteps”).

And a reminder to my friend(s) on The Right, Neil’s an all-purpose crank. He hasn’t always been anti-Bush. He drew fire from The Left for being an early defender of the Patriot Act (he’s since changed his mind on that one), and his 9/11 song, “Let’s Roll,” was out before Toby Keith’s raghead-bashing anthem or any of the other hateful ditties that proceeded mostly from the country/western mainstream.

Neil, on the other hand and as I have already stated, makes me proud to be an American - must be some kind of sneaky Canadian treachery...

Update!

Neil will be touring behind “Living With War” this summer with fellow Original Hippies Crosby, Still and Nash in what he describes as a “Freedom of Speech" tour! CSNY was one of The Missus and my first Big Dates way back in 2000 – looks like we’ll be swimming back to the mainland at least once this summer (nobody ever comes to Christmas Island - all our hippies live here already).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word. Neil sounds good; I played the album twice this weekend. Glad he's recovered from his earlier delusions.

Here's a silly blogwhore. I put this together to annoy my girlfriend, and it's starting to take off (i.e., annoy others, not just Joanna).

hammerandmonster.blogspot.com

11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, love Neil
As soon as I hear is voice I recall fun filled
days with my friends in sunny CA.
Maybe Bill & I shall hunker around the fire (to keep warm where we are now) and crack open a beer, listen to Neil and remember...

K from ME

12:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home