Thursday, July 15, 2010

Self-esteem issues v. Despicable Me


The Misssus, her dad (Pops), The Boy and I all went to see “Despicable Me” today.

It’s a hilarious, action-packed cartoon adventure that ought to give Pixar some real competition next year come Oscar time. The Boy laughed out loud repeatedly throughout and so did all three adults in our party.

“Despicable Me” tells the story of a Bad Guy who was treated thoughtlessly by his mother as a kid, grew up to revel in his perceived wickedness and [SPOILER ALERT] is redeemed by the love of three children by the time the end credits roll. If you've read my profile (above), you know that Fang has mother issues as well (not to mention narrative-mode issues).

I wonder if I was the only one who walked out after the screening feeling melancholy and introspective in addition to entertained. I rather suspect not.

I can’t say how much I loved this movie. Almost as much, as made apparent by the photo above, as The Boy loved himself afterwards while still in the theater lobby—and rightly so!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I've been wondering how the parents of non-girls would rate this one. We adored it. The mirror photo you posted is rather appropriate because that's where my biggest laughs happened--holding a mirror up to our girl-infested lives :)

5:29 AM

 
Blogger Heather Clisby said...

Thanks for the endorsement. I just saw 'Toy Story 3' yesterday so I'm a bit behind on my brilliant animation checklist.

2:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home