Saturday, July 24, 2010

Johnny Cash and I Are Here to Help


So we were in a furniture store today and The Missus was negotiating with the salesman. For a while The Boy and I distracted ourselves by playing on adjoining electric recliners, drawing disapproving glances from the Help that wasn’t ringing up the big commission with my wife. After I got bored with that, I wandered up to the front of the store and greeted two groups of shoppers with, “Hi, I’m Fang. Can I help you find anything?” before the Help, suddenly alarmed, began to hurry in my direction.

(In my defense, I directed the new shoppers correctly. I’d already noticed the layout of the store and the departments therein; it seemed kind of random to me to me and I was mentally framing my reproach should anyone inquire as to my opinion on the subject.)

No, it was probably my casual shorts and the Johnny Cash t-shirt (above) that the furniture store personnel, all dressed impeccably uncomfortably, objected to.

Anticipating their argument, I explained to the first blowsy, overdressed saleslady who reached me, “It’s okay, you don’t need a tie when you’re wearing a Johnny Cash t-shirt.”

Overwhelmed by my logic—or perhaps just frightened by the thousand-yard-stare in my eyes—she relaxed after a rote exchange of pleasantries and as of right now, all The Missus knows is I was up to something and they had to dispatch people to stop me.



Have I mentioned lately that I’m here to help?

4 Comments:

Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

Postscript: Negotiations for the couch finally concluded and it will be delivered to our home in 4-6 weeks. The store is 4-6 blocks away; I could carry the thing home on my shoulders, crawling on my hands and knees through broken glass quicker. Maybe if I had done a better job of greeter we’d have our couch before Sep-freaking-tember.

5:21 AM

 
Anonymous Lisa_V said...

Bert wants to have a bunch of people carry our trampoline intact up the hill to new house. Perhaps if his fantasy plays out, we could move on to your couch next. We could sing while we did it like we were pioneers or something.

11:00 AM

 
Blogger Leslie M-B said...

I had no idea whatsoever that this was going on.

4:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good boy Fang, Good boy.
Shit try sales as a career you'd be great at it because of your "buy it, don't buy it because it'll take a helluva lot more than me fucking this shit job away for my wife and kid to leave me" attitude that would make you a howling success
hell do it part time

9:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home