Friday, December 18, 2009

Seriously, go see this movie right now:

Jon Stewart had one of Avatar’s stars, Sigourney Weaver, on his show recently and told her that for months this film looked like it was going to be “a giant turd.” I was glad to see I wasn’t the only one who thought so.

When we had dinner with The Last Boy Scout and his family last weekend, I asked them if they were interested in seeing it. They quickly agreed that the film looked like a big stinky turd to them, too, and had no plans to see it. Everyone agreed—everything we’d seen of it smelled like bad cheese.

But, I’ve been a stalwart James Cameron fan since the first Terminator came out. At the time, it was playing at the $2 theater right around the corner from me. An old place with uncomfortable seats that ran movies that weren’t on the major screens anymore but hadn’t been pulled yet. Not like these days where, when a movie disappears from the multiplex, it’s completely gone till its DVD release two months later. I don’t know how many nights I saw it there, but I remember it played for a long time.

I even liked The Abyss, the Cameron film that none of the press for the new movie mentions. It made money but it also earned Cameron a very unflattering reputation as a taskmaster asshole. Hard to work for or with unless you, too, happened to walk on water. Or on that film, breathe underwater, as he repeatedly almost drowned cast members.

And because I didn’t stay to hear the music over the end credits, I even unabashedly loved Titanic. (We also fled before the saccharine bombast swelling up over Avatar’s end credits reached its crescendo.)

So it was only because Jim Cameron made this movie that I would even consider touching it with a ten-foot pole. A CGI fantasy film with fake-looking (but mostly naked and strangely hot, see inset) blue faerie people flitting about on repurposed dinosaurs? Why not throw in some unicorns, too?

But Cameron has never made a dud. He’s never made anything but excellent movies. And I’m a brand-loyalty kind of consumer.

Man am I glad I am. What a great flick! It feels a lot like Aliens and not just because Weaver starred in that one, too. The twist is this time, we’re the aliens who need to be driven out.

It’s a Jim Cameron film all the way, pastel-blue pixies and all. The plot structure at the beginning and end is straight from the Cameron (and Joseph Campbell) playbook and all the weird fantasy stuff in the middle isn’t anywhere near as off-putting as the 90-second clips on talk shows make them appear. The climactic battle sequences easily surpass similar set pieces from any film in the Lord of The Rings trilogy, the former standard-bearer for fantasy action/adventure filmmaking.

I also like Cameron’s use of (what look like American) Marines in this flick. Even though he employs them as The Bad Guys (doing the bidding of future-earth’s skeevy corporate masters), he still crafts characters that demand the audience’s respect. Even as I was rooting against the Marine commander in one of the film’s action set pieces, I was thinking, “Jesus, that guy’s a bad-ass!” instead of “Die, motherfucker, die!”

And his use of 3D is judicious, not promiscuous. Things don’t jump off the screen or get thrown at the camera just to remind you you’re watching a 3D movie, he actually uses the process and technology to more fully immerse the audience in this strange new world he has created from the ground up.

There are simply not enough superlatives to describe the experience of seeing Avatar in the theater, and in 3D. Once again, Cameron has employed bleeding-edge technology, most of which he designed and built himself, to tell a cautionary tale about the dangers of technology used irresponsibly.

I’ve seen Cameron out promoting this flick and he’s still a pompous asshole, even when he’s trying not to be. But in Avatar’s case, it’s the movie not that the man that I’m recommending. Trust me. If you sit this one out, you’ll regret it. Cameron has raised the bar again, way high. It’s gonna be a hard act to follow and I, for one, hope he can’t wait to get started trying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

Mark Dowdy said...
I really enjoyed this movie, but at the same time, I totally agree with this article: http://tiny.cc/B9ctx

Commenting on the "going native" theme of movies like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai, the author writes:

"This is the essence of the white guilt fantasy, laid bare. It's not just a wish to be absolved of the crimes whites have committed against people of color; it's not just a wish to join the side of moral justice in battle. It's a wish to lead people of color from the inside rather than from the (oppressive, white) outside."

Somehow I enjoyed the hell out the movie anyway, but, while James Cameron knows how to make one hell of a fantasy flick, he really has no reason to be a pompous ass about whatever green message he thinks he's spreading. On the other hand, the visuals were stunning, the acting was strong (esp. Stephen Lang and -- yum! -- Michelle Rodriquez), and that motherfucking Ragnarok on acid final battle scene was downright stunning.

I'll be seeing this again.

10:33 PM

 
Blogger Fang Bastardson said...

What a great review at the link you provided. Sure wish I had read it before I saw the film so I could have felt bad about myself for having enjoyed the film so much.

Jesus Christ. Sometimes a damn cigar is just a cigar!

I agree with you about the acting. Cameron is a past master at pulling actual performances out of questionable-at-best thesps like the Arnolds, both Schwarzenegger and Tom. And using comedians in dramatic roles like Paul Reiser in Aliens and Chris Elliot in .

I've already been thinking about seeing it again, too. We are bad, unself-loathing white people... and you're educated enough to know better!

Finally, who could sit through The Last Samurai? That flick was awful (and absurd) on its face.

What I hate more than the "white guilt" or whatever thing the critic you referred to was going on about are movies about Black people's struggles told through the eyes of a Caucasian protagonist. I mean, I really hate that. Like that film about Stephen Biko that starred Kevin Kline? Or how about Invictus where Nelson freaking Mandela is a bit player to Matt Damon's rugby-playing leading man? I love Clint Eastwood (and Morgan Freeman) so I'll withhold judgment till I see it, but it's got a tall mountain to climb with me. Christ, you've got Morgan Freeman playing Mandela - you're telling me there's not enough of a story right there, you have to couch it in sports flick?

1:03 AM

 
Blogger Heather Clisby said...

Dude, the plot of "Invictus" isn't 'couched' in anything. It's a true story. And Morgan Freeman playing Mandela? Please, it's a step down. He's played God several times already.

As for Avatar - totally agree on all your points. I also don't care if Cameron is a prick. Our relationship is strictly filmmaker-audience member so it's no concern of mine. As long he keeps cranking out the brilliance, I'll be a paying customer.

7:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home