Monday, April 20, 2009

Obligatory Birthday Post

Made it!!

If you’re reading this then, in theory, you care that I’ve made it another revolution around the sun and have successfully notched another 365 days of life. This last year has not been the best one ever, but it ain’t been the worst either, not by a long shot.

The calendar says I’m 47, but my shoulder feels about 80 and if my lower back was a horse, I’d take it out into the field and shoot it. Time catches up with us all in different places, for me it’s in my body. In my head I still feel like a giddy adolescent every time I drive through campus, looking at all the girls and mentally crossing them off as I pass by. “She doesn’t want me. She doesn’t want me. Oh man, she definitely doesn’t want me…” It’s the self-esteem version of Russian roulette only every chamber is packing heat.

It really takes me back...

Fortunately, I have a good woman at home who does want me, even in my unseemly, advancing decrepitude. And a son who still needs me – if I don’t take him to Crapplebees (above), I guarantee you nobody else will. (Speaking of which – thanks for the gift certificate, Mrs. & Mrs Rogers!)

Not sure if I’ve been picked up yet for next season – tomorrow is promised to no one except, apparently, Mickey Rooney – but I’m hopeful that I’ve got a lot more good days to look forward to ahead of me than ugly incidents to keep under wraps behind me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Clisby said...

Happy Birthday, Fang!

8:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home