Thursday, September 14, 2006

Vacation-at-Home #2 Days 6 & 7:

Well, the truth is, the ‘vacation’ part of my vacation ended Sunday night when the family returned home. The Man Cub is cutting some fangs of his own – sleep deprivation began taking its toll again Sunday night and is ongoing. Plus, The Missus had a high-profile job to interview for this week which ate up two whole days and I was starting to get itchy to work again anyhow, so yeah, the last couple days have been a sham, vacation-wise. Very little vacating was accomplished.

I spent a lot of my free time writing a lengthy epistle about how the whole God thing has become unnecessary, but for a piece that’s bound to lose me friends, I can’t seem to pull it together to my satisfaction yet. It’s been very frustrating. Even the drummer from Rush agrees with me, and I can’t quite spit it out.

However, I have succeeded in throwing together another mix disc of lullabies and love songs that has already proven successful at its desired task, which is to help soothe the boy back to sleep up to the five times a night he wakes up screaming. Feel good about that.

The world is still a stinking, steaming shit hole of hypocrisy and lies, but that could just be the sleep deprivation talking. No wait, it’s cnn.com. Just look at this minute’s headlines and judge for yourself:

• Hate-filled shooter killed himself, police say | Video
• Suicide bomb hits Army outpost, kills 2 | Video
• CNNMoney: 75,000 staff to hear Ford payout deal
• Spinach blamed for 8-state E. coli outbreak
• Clooney: Remember Rwanda, stop Darfur | Gallery
• Judge: 'You should never have been a mother'
• SI.com: Coach convicted in autistic boy's beaning
• Why a bionic arm needs a manicure
• 'Survivor' using race in ratings race | Video

Any one of these stories would have been enough to motivate me to bang out an indignant screed during the first half of my vacation, but now all I want to do is get to sleep before The Man Cub wakes me up.

Actually, if I wasn’t going to bed in five minutes, I’d write about how I read this morning in George Will’s column that the Dems are planning on going after Wal-Mart in the mid-term elections – making it a campaign issue – and what a loser this is gonna be for them. Pissing all over the number one shopping destination of Red State America isn’t likely to move a lot of swing voters into their column. My theory is that the Democrats have looked ahead to the problems they risk inheriting if they win, and have decided Number Two is a pretty sweet place to be right now after all.

Anyhow, I’m glad I wrote everything down the first half of the week, because my brain is already writing over my memories of the beginning of my vacation. Hope I had a great time – wish I could have been there!

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Wanted to let you know that I posted the first three chapters of my book online if you were still interested in being a reader. I'll need your e-mail address to send you the remainder in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance!

12:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home