Monday, September 11, 2006

I remember 9/11

It was a Tuesday. Me and The Missus had just the weekend before moved the whole dog and pony show to this miserable little island. Her Dad paddled over with us and helped with the load-out. It was crazy hot, even for early September.

As usual I’m up before 7 local time (10 on the east coast) and turn on the morning news – how hot is it supposed to get today? Instead, I got grainy rabbit-eared footage of the twin towers burning. I ran immediately in and woke up The Missus. “You’re not gonna believe this shit” I told her. And like the rest of the country, we sat there and watched the towers fall a little while later.

I remember being really really pissed – pissed that we didn’t have our cable hooked up yet and my computer was still in a box somewhere. The biggest news event certainly of the decade and I was forced to squint at it on rabbit-ear TV.

It was horrible.

I was the first person in the complex to hang an American flag outside our apartment that day. I couldn’t find my computer, but I knew just where my flag was.

After the human tragedy of it had had its way with us, I remember thinking, “This country is about to go screaming to the right.” Dumbleyou had just recently won his squeaker of an election in the Supreme Court due to the country being on a bubble – we were primed to be knocked one way or another. I didn’t mind the idea of getting all medieval on whatever evil fuckers had done this thing – we’d have to, if only so we wouldn’t be seen as the world’s bitch from that point on. Some kind of Extreme Sanction was absolutely necessary and called for. What worried me then is the same thing that worries me now – who stewards us through this rough patch of history?

Aye, there’s the rub.

Remember the outpouring of support that came our way in the aftermath of 9/11? If the Bush administration had been more interested in coalition-building than cowboy dick-swinging, we might still have the rest of the world on our side instead of at our throats. I think it was the President of France, of all people, who said at the time, “Today, we are all Americans.”

And they were. Even some moderate Muslim governments denounced the September 11 attacks and offered statements of support.

It was that kind of moment in time, and we squandered it.

Our leaders pissed it away, because it didn’t fit in with their world-view, or their agenda, which from Day One had been all about punishing Saddam for making W’s daddy look like a pussy back in the Gulf War. Suddenly, the perfect pretext drops in their lap. “Mission Accomplished” is just around the corner.

And I keep thinking, Good God, what a waste. Think what TR could have done with an opportunity like 9/11 afforded us. Think what a statesman could have built from that wellspring of international good will… then turn on the news any night and see from Iraq what our leaders have wrought instead.

It’s like one of those nightmare alternate-future scenarios in the cheap sci-fi I favor. How the hell did we get from point A (worldwide bonhomie) to point B (some concluding chapter in the book of Revelations)?

The victims of 9/11 deserve better, and so do we.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather Clisby said...

I know the dread of which you speak. I remember thinking: "Uh-oh. Zealotry, here we come."

And here we still are.

4:02 PM

 
Blogger Keven said...

Thanks for writing what I was thinking but was too busy/lazy to write.

9:39 PM

 
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Seems that my hubby (Keven) found you through my blog. I experienced that morning in a similar info vacuum. I was at work where we had no TVs and no radios. All I could manage was a few haphazard internet updates, but more often than not the net was crashed. Someone had a little portable TV with a 2" screen, but nothing. At lunch we went to the nearest sport's bar to watch. By then, everything was over and the dread set in. While everyone in the office was out-for-blood mode, I saw what you described - an unavoidable shift to the right. Still pisses me off.

7:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at home with 2 kids, 1 year old
and 4 year old. Couldn't watch TV and let them see. Couldn't listen to the radio, 'cause the 4 year old is too smart and understands the news....she is 9 now and just learning about it. Talk about reliving a moment. Explaining it to a 9 year old, I had a hard time not crying. The shakey voice...ugh.
Anyway. It is bitter sweet to think it is 5 years behind us, and we are in the shape we are in - as a country. The answer? Leadership, or the lack there of....
Your disertation was well written my friend.
K of Me

5:27 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Mather said...

We seem to have all worried about the right turn really early on, whether we wanted the terrorist to eat dirt or not. On that day, though, I tried as hard as I could to avoid seeing the news until later in the evening when I was completely transfixed.

7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home