Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Crumbling Ruin

A mere shadow of the bastard I once was, that’s me.

I think I mentioned the arthritis yesterday. Shoulder’s been bothering me for months, so I finally had it X-Rayed this week. In addition to the arthritis, they also found an old, formerly undiagnosed, untreated fractured collarbone. I figure this either happened during a sledding incident 10 years ago that banged the shit out of my ribs, or sometime during my decades of nightly black-outs. I expect somebody out there has a hilarious anecdote about some drunken shenanigans that I don’t remember that resulted in the unhappy, delayed diagnosis I received this week.

This explains the excruciating agony I’ve experienced lately when I made the mistake of rolling over in bed onto my left side. Explains a lot of things, really. I need to get this taken care of in order to be a proper father to The Boy. I don’t want to be the kind of delicate, pussy Old Man who can’t rough-house with his kid. Steps must be taken!

So the same-day doc I went in and got the X-Ray permission from called to ‘break’ the news to me, but I insisted on scheduling the follow-up visit with our regular family sawbones, who I wrote to immediately who hasn’t gotten back to me yet. In retrospect, knowing our family doctor only comes to the office 12 days a month, I shoulda jumped at the first opportunity to take the next step, but I am a sucker for brand loyalty. Anyhow, we’re still within the 24-hour period that the online thingee I wrote to her at promised me she’d reply in. If you’re reading this, Dr. Sawbones, I sure would like to hear from you.

I’m also in psychological disrepair brought about by a new weekly newspaper I took over production duties on 4 weeks ago. By this time, I expected we’d have worked out the kinks and would be a smooth-running engine of news dissemination, when in fact, each week has created more redundant work and unnecessary stress than the week before. Production day is Wednesday, and each week Weds. has lasted later into the night than the week before, and the process has broken down worse than the preceding week. My Wednesday diet has lately consisted solely of stomach acid and klonopin. Plus I took the job at a really cheap rate, figuring by a month in we’d be that smooth-running machine I mentioned above; instead, I’ve got the stress-level of Osama bin Laden’s body-double and am drawing about the hourly salary of an assistant manager at McDonalds.

Have I mentioned it’s been a shitty summer? “Dark Knight” is the perfect snapshot in amber of this summer. Bleak, depressing, discouraging and almost too painful to bear.

On the other hand, this new shoulder diagnosis adds a welcome physical element to the misery I’ve been in for months. This, maybe, something can be done about. If Dr. Sawbones ever gets back to me, I’m gonna tell her to take as drastic a measure as my insurance will allow me. I actually feel better already, having something solid to hang my unhappiness on. Physical maladies can be pushed back against; psych melt-downs are just pathetic and open-ended.

And as far as the new paper goes, I’m having a pow-wow with the boss tomorrow. Either things get more organized, and quick, or I’m giving my two weeks notice. I really like this boss and our working relationship has been ultra-cool up till now, but things are going to change on this new publication, and fast, or I am no shit outta there. The money was nice and we’ll miss it, but money has never been my bottom line.

So finally, after months on end of sad shit I had no power to affect, change or undo, suddenly I’ve got two major issues that I’m actually empowered to resolve. I’m almost beginning to feel like my old self again.

Emphasis on “old.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Dowdy said...

Sorry to hear about the arthritis, Fang. That really sucks. But just like you don't have to be old to be wise, you don't have to be old to get arthritis -- esp. if you spent a misspent early youth beating the hell out of your shoulder.

P.S. I'm in No. Cal. since yesterday.

6:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not as old as McCain.

BTW, if you can get a message to him through your AZ connections, let him know he'll get my vote the day he offers his wife up to take part in a Tijuana donkey show.

Not really a big pander on his part, given his Sturgis performance, and (perhaps due to the stolen narcotics) she doesn't seem like she'd mind either.

9:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FWIW, I also have shoulder arthritis (both sides), and a separated collarbone from a non-drunken skiing accident circa 1995.

Drinking did start right after the accident, because that mother hurt like hell.

Sad thing about your getting older, dude, is I'm denied the joy of saying "better you than me!"

Also: "qbquxkgy" ??

You've got this place on lockdown.

9:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bluegrass festival in SF is right around the corner and of course it made me think of you. Can I tell you that I'm one of your secret fans? I love the family references... Hope all is good in your world.

2:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Julia Bean and i would like to show you my personal experience with Klonopin.

I am 36 years old. Have been on Effexor for at least 5 months now. My dr put me on 5 to 10mg per night right from the start, I was on it for approximately 4 to 5 months before a friend showed up at my drs appt to tell him what was happening to me. I was sure I was losing my mind and afraid to tell them what was happening. They discontinued my klonopin on the spot and eventually all those symptoms went away it took months!! I don't recall having any withdrawl symptoms but I may have as I had never been on many meds before!

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Periodic Amnesia that increased as time went on, confusion, blurred vision, Muscle Pain, Left Sided numbness and weakness, pneumonia... plus plus plus

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Julia Bean

Klonopin Side Effects

5:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home