Friday, July 01, 2011

Bittersweet


Today is kind of a sad and a glad day for me.

It was the first time, when presented with the option of going to school or staying home with me, that The Boy chose school.

I knew this day was coming. When he starts Kindergarten in a couple months, the gravy train was over anyhow. Thursdays With The Boy were already coming to a pre-ordained end.

And I’m glad but sad that he made the call before fate took the decision out of his hands.

I want him to prefer spending time with his peers than his parental units. That’s healthy development, no matter how you slice it. As his parent, I am pleased with his choice.

But the Selfish Bastard in me wouldn’t have minded not having his illusions dispelled, especially not this close to the finish line. I only had to retain his fealty a few more weeks, and I fell just thiiiiiis short of the mark.

Anyhow, we worked out a compromise. I pretended to be happy to be rid of him, and he agreed to let me pick him up early so we can go to a matinee of Transformers 3: The Re-EnDumbening, before Mommy comes home from work.

Thanks for the weekly Date With Daddy, son. It’s been amazing, enlightening, enchanting, exhilarating… and as I knew it would be, all too brief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home